Dr Steven Yun is an Illawarra-based Ophthalmologist with expertise in the management of cataract, glaucoma and comprehensive ophthalmology. He provides consultation at Illawarra Ophthalmology (Figtree and Wollongong Central) and South Coast Ophthalmology (Nowra). He operates at Wollongong Day Surgery, Wollongong Private Hospital, Shellharbour Private hospital and Nowra private hospital. Dr Yun prides himself on maintaining a holistic approach to every person’s vision by combining scientific excellence, an advanced surgical skillset and clear communication.
Dr Yun received his medical training from the University of New South Wales and specialist Ophthalmology training at Sydney Eye Hospital. He was awarded the RANZCO Trevelyan-Smith scholarship to undertake a subspecialty fellowship in glaucoma and complex cataract surgery at the acclaimed Bristol Eye Hospital in the United Kingdom. Bristol Eye Hospital pioneers a shared care model for eye disease and Dr Yun plans to maintain this relationship with Illawarra optometrists in his practice.
Dr Yun is widely published and has won multiple prizes presenting at local and international conferences. He was awarded a Masters of Ophthalmic Science by the University of Sydney, and a Masters of Medicine for research in retinal biology, which was funded by the prestigious Wenkart Foundation and Rebecca Cooper scholarships.
Dr Yun has a longstanding commitment to teaching the next generation of doctors and Ophthalmologists. He is a Conjoint Associate Lecturer at the University of New South Wales and University of Sydney. One of his passions is providing volunteer medical care and these missions have taken him to Nepal, Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines. Dr Yun is a Wollongong local and in his spare time enjoys playing soccer, watching the football and cooking for his wife and daughter.
Dr Yun specialises in the following procedures:
- Micro-incision sutureless Cataract Surgery
- Comprehensive Glaucoma Surgery including:
- Trabeculectomy, Baerveldt and Ahmed tube surgery and Deep sclerectomy
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery “MIGS” - iStent and Hydrus stents
- Glaucoma laser procedures including:
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT)
- Peripheral Iridotomy (PI)
- Sutureless Pterygium Surgery
- Intravitreal eye injections for Diabetic Retinopathy and Age-related Macular Degeneration
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
- Master of Philosophy in retinal biology - MPhil (Med), University of Sydney
- Master of Ophthalmic Science - MMed (OphthSci), University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – BSc (Med) MBBS, University of New South Wales
- Conjoint Associate Lecturer at the University of Sydney
- Conjoint Associate Lecturer at the University of New South Wales
- BSC (MED) MBBS, MPHIL (MED), MMED (OPHTHSCI), FRANZCO